Digital transformation is simultaneously helping government agencies and putting pressure on them to make change happen. As they look to promote citizen well-being, influence positive societal change and enhance their government services, the time is now for them to build a strategy to address their challenges and opportunities. With 60% of government agencies saying they will have a fully articulated digital transformation platform strategy by this year (Microsoft Library/ProResearch “Tech Industry 2018 Predictions and Beyond” report, January 2018), Microsoft and our partner ecosystem have an immediate opportunity to help government agencies be successful in addressing these issues with solutions that are anchored on trust, innovation, security and compliance. This is the fourth post of the industry partner opportunity blog series. Please see the introductory post here.
Meet your mission and service your citizens better; foster a safer, more secure world
Microsoft has worked with government agencies for over 40 years and helped thousands of organizations on their digital transformation journeys with local, regional and federal governments around the globe. What we’ve learned is that the organizations that are most successful, understand that digital transformation is a journey that supports their people to create the value the organization seeks by having a clear vision, strategy, culture, unique potential, and capabilities as the foundational elements – then turns to technology. Put simply, technology is the tool. People are the focus. And more value is the outcome.
While every agency has a unique charter, there are challenges common to all within two distinct verticals:
- Civilian and Public Safety & Justice:
- Public health and social services: Serving their citizens and communities, improving efficiency, and helping ensure privacy and compliance.
- Public safety and justice: Increasing safety and security and enabling efficient and transparent judicial proceedings.
- Public works and infrastructure: Providing essential public services to their citizens and maintain security while maximizing efficiency and effectiveness.
- Tax and finance: Helping make taxpayer experiences easier, mitigate tax fraud, and promote economic sustainability.
- Transportation: Creating connected transportation systems that are more accessible, efficient, safe and sustainable.
- Smart Cities: Enhancing citizen experiences, increase sustainability and resilience, and promote innovation for their city services.
- Defense and intelligence: Helping defense and intelligence agencies advance their missions to promote stability and security for citizens, nations, and multinational alliances. We will focus on this vertical in a future blog post.
Innovation delivered through our extensive partner ecosystem at global scale
Our partner ecosystem continues to build innovative solutions using Microsoft technologies to help address government specific challenges and scenarios. Two examples of how our partners transformed government agencies are with the Australian Government Department of Health, and the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities.
The Australian Government Department of Health worked with Microsoft partner, Veritec, to implement a Dynamics 365 solution that made it easier to organize and access vital health data and improve the overall citizen experience. The department had traditionally relied on manual processes and their digital solution is helping them break down silos and provide on-demand access to data and insights that are essential to improved outcomes and helping them do things that weren’t possible previously.
Another one of our Microsoft partners, Fathym, recently worked with the Alaska Department of Transportation & Public Facilities to implement their WeatherCloud solution, which uses Microsoft Azure IoT technologies to enable predictive insights to inform deployment of road crews during severe winter weather, which helps save lives and reduce road maintenance costs.
Bringing to life partner solutions at the Smart City Expo World Congress
The Smart City Expo World Congress event took place last November in Barcelona. It brought together over 24,000 attendees of government and civic leaders, experts and technology and thought leaders, united by a shared mission to empower cities and promote urban innovation. Microsoft’s partners, including Genetec, Axilion and Bentley Systems, showcased their industry solutions built upon the Microsoft cloud, AI and IoT technologies. Please read more about the event here, and our partner government solutions.
Microsoft provides more than the tools and technologies of digital transformation. Our deep commitment to innovation, security, compliance, and trust will help our mutual customers achieve their goals and reimagine the future. And together with our partners, we are bringing our technology and products together into experiences that unlock value by building a future of empowered citizens, empowered governments, and empowered societies.
Take these next steps:
- Learn how you can combine Microsoft technology with your IP and services to deliver solutions that will help government organizations on their transformation journey. Download the government partner guide.
- Watch this short video to learn more about how Microsoft helps governments meet their mission and serve citizens better.